Monday, February 26, 2007

The Beginning

Ephedra Nevadensis
Photo by Michael L. Charters

It's a first, an introduction to the technological world. My first attempt at a blog, all for the love of getting a Bachelor's Degree in Communications. I guess I'll do and try anything. I'm taking a class at Rowan University called Writing, Research and Technology and this project is to start a research based blog on a topic we found interesting. (Not as dry a class as I had originally anticipated.) Therefore, this blog is dedicated to the study of Alternative and Complementary medicine hopefully with a focus on herbal medicines and their historical and present day use. I am not a medical doctor nor an herbalist and can not advise or prescribe anything for any body's use. I'm just a student at a university looking for answers and information myself on a topic that interests me.

I first became interested in herbs when a good friend of mine whose grandmother had studied herbalism from her youth, turned me on to different teas made from different herbs to relax me, ease my sore throat and even help with menstrual cramps. Amazing! She'd make me massage oils and soaps and lotions all from these dried herbs she bought from the local farmer's market. As I became more interested in what she was doing, I started buying my own herbs and using my mortar and pestle to grind away. I bought my first book, The Way of Herbs by Michael Tierra, L.Ac., O.M.D. (Licensed Acupuncturist; Oriental Medical Doctor -- I had to look that up too) and started to peruse my way around herbal remedies. His book also recommends a ton of places to find herbs and organizations dealing with research about herbs such as http://www.herbs.org/.

But as I said, this is just the beginning of my search for information. I hope to find even more to not only educate myself but anyone else that happens upon this site. It's the beginning. I hope we all enjoy the ride.

No comments: